Boys Soccer Information
Varsity Boys Soccer starts practice! The Varsity Boys Soccer team will begin soccer practice at Ultimate Soccer Arenas on August 12th from 9-12. We will be following the strict guidelines of the MHSAA. Athletes interested in participating need to bring a physical if the school doesn’t already have one on file, a clearly marked water bottle, mask/gaiter, and be prepared to comply with the COVID-19 Monitoring questions upon arrival. If you have any questions, contact coach Ed Sack at ed.sack@Roeper.org
Volleyball Startup Information
|Coach Emma Hegel (Varsity)
|Coach Talon Bialik-Cheng (JV)
For incoming Freshmen: you must have a physical on file from on or after April 15, 2020. Please complete the physical form under the website banner -> more -> forms, scan it, and email it to me before the first practice, August 12, 2020.
Players will not be allowed to participate without a physical.
All players must have a completed “consent to participate” form. Both the player and a parent need to fill it out, scan it, and email it to me before the first practice.
I would like to stress, yet again, how important player, coach, and spectator safety is. We are putting in place rigorous safety protocols to ensure we have a healthy (and fun!) season.
Before each and every practice we need players screened for the following:
- Sore Throat
- Shortness of breath
- Close contact, or care for someone with COVID-19
If players are not screened they are not allowed to participate. I stress this every year but this year it is more important than ever: IF YOU ARE SICK DO NOT COME TO PRACTICE!
Players/Parents must complete this Daily Symptom Check form every day before practice. Failure to complete the form will result in players not being able to participate in practice. Please take player temperatures and record all answers honestly.
When school starts we will be using the school’s system but until then we will use the above form.
Our practice schedule is subject to change but this is the schedule we have decided on for now:
Wednesday, August 12th – Friday, August 28th
All players – 6:30-8:30pm
Small-group conditioning opportunities – 5:30-6:15pm
(Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday – This will begin Monday, August 17th; I will release more information about this later in the week)
Monday, August 31st – Friday, September 11th
All players – 7:30-8:30pm conditioning camp
No practice Friday, September 4th or Monday, September 7th
Beginning Monday, September 14th:
JV – 5:15-7:00pm
Varsity – 6:00-8:00pm
Beginning Wednesday, August 12th, we will practice outside at the lower school. Practices will look much different from previous seasons as we have new safety procedures in place.
All students must:
- socially distance, maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet at all times
- wear a mask during ALL non-aerobic activities (including stretching and volleyball skills)
- bring their own water bottles, sports drinks, and equipment
- verify, before practice, that they are not showing any symptoms or feeling unwell
Required equipment for OUTDOOR practice includes the following:
- mask (I suggest bringing an extra if you’re feeling hot/sweaty and want to change into a fresher mask, especially after conditioning days)
- personal water bottle/sports drink (please do not rely on the drinking fountain)
- workout shoes (not converse, keds, vans, or other non-athletic sneakers)
- lightweight workout clothes (we will be practicing outside so spandex, tank tops, and light-colored clothing is ideal)
I also highly suggest wearing sunscreen! Let’s keep Coronavirus, sunburn, and wrinkles at bay this season!
If you are curious about what skills we are tackling this season, check out my Volleyball Basics page.
What About an Indoor Season?
If we (and other schools) are safe and smart, we will hopefully transition to indoor practicing.
Equipment for indoor practices will include the above outdoor equipment as well as:
- ankle guards (the Active Ankle T2 Ankle Brace is the best option. Do not opt for the more comfortable soft ankle guards as they do not work. My experience on crutches speaks to their inefficiency)
Boys and Girls Cross Country Information
Boys & Girls cross country will begin practices at Poppleton Park in Birmingham on Monday August 17th from 3:30-5. We will be following the strict guidelines of the MHSAA. Athletes interested in participating need to bring a physical if the school doesn’t already have one on file, a clearly marked water bottle, mask/gaiter, and be prepared to comply with the COVID-19 Monitoring questions upon arrival. If you have any questions, contact coach Todd Dunfield at email@example.com .